[mapserver-users] problems from 3.4 to 3.5

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri May 4 11:30:39 EDT 2001

The error you're getting refers to a change in metadata support. 3.4 and
earlier versions really provided no metadata support other than the layer
DESCRIPTION field. That has been replaced with a general METADATA
tag that can be used for lots of things. One example is that WMS compatabilty
requires metadata to produce a capabilties document. So rather than adding
a new field for each possible WMS need a generic solution was added.

As a result the LAYER DECRIPTION tag is gone. You can now do something
like:

  LAYER
    NAME "lake"
    METADATA
      description "!:24,000 USGS DLG Lakes Data"
      author "USGS"
    END
  END

I still need to make these data available as template substitutions though.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "A. Giacomelli" <andreag at crs4.it> 05/04/01 05:30AM >>>
Hi,

I am porting an application developed in php/mapscript from an
installation using

MapScript Version (Jan 8, 2001)
MapServer Version 3.4 (pre-release) -GD_1_2 -PROJ.4 -FreeType -TIFF
-EPPL7 -OGR

MapScript Version (Apr 3, 2001)
MapServer Version 3.5 (pre-alpha) OUTPUT=GIF INPUT=SHAPEFILE

(as read from phpinfo on the two machines)

Should I expect any problems ?

As a matter of fact, I am getting an error on the Rosa demo application:

 Warning: MapServer Error in loadLayer(): (DESCRIPTION):(88) in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/sard/gmap/htdocs/gmap75.php
on line 51

Fatal error: Failed to open map file gmap75.map in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/sard/gmap/htdocs/gmap75.php on line 51

TIA for any suggestion,

Andrea Giacomelli
Centre for Advanced Studies, Research and
Development in Sardinia
Environment Group

http://www.crs4.it/~andreag