[mapserver-users] a question about tiffimages

Chris Stuber imap at chesapeake.net
Fri May 18 04:49:06 EDT 2001

Paul J,

The output is 8-bit, and I guess you are allocating some other colors in your
mapfile... which in effect over-allocates the color table.  Since mapserver's
limitation (last time I checked) is 8-bit output,  I'd suggest that you decrease
the number of colors used in your TIFF image so that you have colors for
lines/polys/symbols, etc.

Although PNG supports 24-bit, mapserver only deals with with an 8-bit color
table....  Steve, correct?  Any new developments along these lines?  I have the
same problems with my raster images/charts/topos, etc.  It would be nice to
somehow handle image resampling or some other magic to avoid this problem.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)