[mapserver-users] a question about tiffimages

kenboss kenboss at dilbert.dnr.state.mn.us
Mon May 21 13:12:45 EDT 2001

We use an combination of ERDAS, Image Alchemy, and the geotif libraries for our
raster image preprocessing.  Alchemy does a nice job of implementing the
Heckbert median cut algorithm for color quantization.  It provides some
fine-tuning options, including palette sorting by popularity, which is handy in
a mapserver context in that you can use it to ensure that only the
least-frequently used colors get swapped out for some approximation when the
palette becomes over-allocated.  The downside to Alchemy is that it's
proprietary (about $500 per *nix license).  I'm sure that public domain packages
like Image Magick and the Gimp should be able to meet these needs as well, but
haven't tried them since we've already got a working solution.

Would it be nice if GDAL could handle all of our image preprocessing needs?
Sure, especially since GDAL is spatially aware, so there would presumably be
less need to muck around with map projection information than there is when
working with spatially-unaware image processing packages.  On the other hand,
there are already public domain packages that can be employed for these
purposes, so I'm not sure how high on the GDAL development priority list these
things would need to go.

--Ken

Ken Boss
Digital Image Analysis / Web Stuff       Forestry Resource Assessment
kenboss at dilbert.dnr.state.mn.us          Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources
Voice: 218 327 4449 ext. 237             413 SE 13th Street
Fax:   218 327 4517                      Grand Rapids, MN  55744          USA
                   www.ra.dnr.state.mn.us