[mapserver-users] PHP extension -rdynamic message

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue May 22 11:11:26 EDT 2001

Greg Mader wrote:

> Forgive me for the newbie question, but I am coming from the ArcIMS/IIS
> world.  I get the following message after compiling Mapserver with PHP
> support.
> -------------------------
> ----- IMPORTANT !!! -----
> -------------------------
> To use PHP extensions on your OS, you will need to recompile
> PHP.
> You need to edit the Makefile in the php3 directory and add
> -rdynamic to the start of the LDFLAGS line at the top

Greg,

This is not that bad a question... this message is very hard to
understand and could be called misleading.  It comes from the PHP3
script that was used as the base for the PHP part of MapServer's
configure script... I think I should probably take it out of there.

I haven't seen RH7.1 yet, but I'm almost sure that you can use the
php_mapscript.so with the PHP RPM without any problems as long as you
compiled using the --with-apxs switch.

See the following FAQ, this should apply to RH7.1 as well:
http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/mapserver/php_mapscript/php_mapscript_faq.html#4.1

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca