[mapserver-users] Newbie Questions - the Demo, Revised

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Wed May 23 10:59:31 EDT 2001

Oops, I think I figured out the first thing. I hadn't put the ".exe" on
mapserv in the template file.

However, I still would like to know if there are other specific things I
need to be aware of if I'm using the PNG version. I'm also still not clear
about the libraries.

Thanks!

Chip

ORIGNINAL MESSAGE:

OK, I'm still trying to get the demo to work on PWS, and am making some
progress. But have run into a few more problems. I'm new to web-mapping and
CGI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running:
 Win NT, SP6a
 PWS
 IE 5.5
 ms33011 with PNG support

1ST PROBLEM:
--------------------
Currently I've made it to the point where I was getting the following error:

loadSymbol(): GD library error

I'm guessing that I was getting this error b/c the demo uses GIF images and
I have the PNG version of mapserv.exe. I tried converting the images to PNG
files with the same name (in Photoshop), then I changed the references in
the marker.sym file from GIF to PNG. When I did this, and hit the initialize
button, it brought up the initial map. However, that's as far as I can go...
if I try to pan, zoom, ANYTHING, I get a "The page cannot be found" error in
IE.

2ND PROBLEM (Questions, really):
--------------------
Throughout the documentation the term "library" is referred to... but I
can't find any explanation of what this means (I assume it's a dll?).

1) The PNG support version came with a dll (zlib.dll). I put this is the
cgi-bin directory with the mapserv.exe file... is this a sufficient
location?

2) The GIF version of 33011 doesn't have a dll in the distribution... is
this because of the license conflict with Unisys? It seems like the demo
expects me to be using the GIF version of MapServer, is this right? Can the
demo files be easily changed for PNG support?

3) How do I know if I have the right "library." Am I supposed to have
several? In Windows, are these just dll's?

Many Thanks!

Chip Hankley