Data

terr at terralogic.net terr at terralogic.net
Sun Nov 11 01:07:35 EST 2001

I've gone through all the docs I can find and I've installed the server with the test datasets.  This looks good.

We need a dataset that will encoumpass the whole planet.  I know the DCW digital chart of the world exists - we have a copy - but our compy came via PHP associates and the data is NOT in the form we need.

www.demis.nl also has a server and it has the data that we need - but I think this data is in a proprietary format that will not work woth mapserver.

I have 2 things against the demis server as I udersatand it.

1) It runs only on windows.

2) I appears to output to a raster image and we'll need to do projections.  If we re-project the raster the labeling is distorted.

So I don't think that demis will do the job for us.

I also know about cubewerx.  I think that is spelt right.

Cubwerx can do the projections - but at the expense of distoring the labelling - therefore I consider cubewerx to be broken.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the DCW and CIA datasets in a format compatible with mapserver?  I also would like some information as to the "feasibility" of letting mapserver at a full consolodated dataset comprizing all of this data.

Can anyone give me any contacts so that I can have a chat with people who are already workign with this data and the mapserver in order to find out where the problems are.

Thanks.

Terrell Larson
Terralogic