[mapserver-users] Projection EPSG code for LCC in mapserv 3.5

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net.au
Thu Nov 22 00:58:07 EST 2001

Interesting discussion this.

IMHO - and I've been involved with both mapserver and WMS since inception, the
use of codes allows a greater degree of discovery through service registries,
and ability of client to discover how to negotiate a binding with the service.
WMS is all about interoperability after all. The lack of a better taxonomy is
a broader issue - the solution would be to have an active engagement with an
ISO process so that each country has a simple means to register its WKT
(actually the model for the projection) and get a code assigned as required.

RA