[mapserver-users] label lines along path

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Nov 29 13:57:47 EST 2001

The maporama site is not MapServer, too bad cause it's *very* slick.

Aligning a label to a spline or curve is not available. I've looked before for algorithms but have never found one. It's not clear whether that is better accomplished beforehand rather than on-the-fly. I definitely would be slower than the way things work now. GD and it's TTF extension are not equipted to deal with this.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Alexander Pucher <pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at> 11/29/01 01:58AM >>>
Hi,

after solving some problems with labeling lines using a hierachy based on importance (e.g. city streets), I have yet another question left.

Is there a way to label lines not only horizontal or by a given angle, but along a path. In a PostScript book I have, they call this method "placing text along an arbitrary path".

Consider labeling roads or even rivers that curve a lot. This might be not so important when I think of city street systems in the US, but it is when mapping cities in Europe, like Vienna,Austria, in my case.

Stephen Woodbridge sent a link to http://maporama.com/share yesterday, where you can clearly see that the street labels sometimes follow a path.
Is this a MapServer app, and if so, how is the labeling done?

mfg
ALEX

Institut fuer Geographie und Regionalforschung
Universität Wien
Kartografie und Geoinformation

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartographie and GIS

Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

Tel: (+43 1) 4277 48644
Fax: (+43 1) 4277 48649
E-mail: pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at

FTP: ftp://ftp.gis.univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto

"He that will not apply new remedies must expect new evils; for time is the greatest innovator"--Francis Bacon