[mapserver-users] ArcIMS Gateway

Stephen Lime sdlime at mninter.net
Mon Oct 1 16:09:16 EDT 2001

Hmmmm... An interesting idea but I'd rather see ESRI stop being so friggin
proprietary. The Geography Network is supposed to be open yet you must
be an ESRI user to participlate at any meaningful level. Ask tech support
none of the "open" pieces are actually there yet. Note that Dan added
support for external WMS layers (i.e. you can access ArcIMS if there is
a wrapper in front).

Mapping ArcXML to WMS or even MapServer shouldn't be that hard. The
reason I lump MapServer in there is because WMS isn't all that feature
rich,
yet.

Steve