[mapserver-users] Shapefiles - different formats?

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Fri Oct 5 12:53:47 EDT 2001

ArcView will read the 3 files just fine.  You have to create
or Open a New Project, then Add Layer, then browse to the
dir where your shapefiles are, then pick one.

A somewhat related comment, There are actually a other
files that sometimes accompany a shapefile.

.shp, .shx, .dbf  (main 3 files)
.sbn, .ixs, .mxs  (???  mystery files)
.prj, .apr        (project files I think)

I think the .ixs and .mxs are geocoding indexes
and .sbn??? who knows.   I'd really like to know
the layout of these other files.  I am not sure
if they come from ArcInfo, or what?  I see a few
3rd party companies create these files within their
ArcView Format, but it may be a proprietary aspect
of Arc???  If anyone has info, please reply an email.

Anyway, The .apr(.prj?) are in ascii and is a long
list of name/value pairs, so a script should be able
to generate/manipulate OK.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc