[mapserver-users] 3.5 problem with configure/freetype

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 8 10:54:34 EDT 2001

imap at chesapeake.net wrote:

> In 3.5, when I specify --with-freetype=[DIR],  configure finds the libs/header
> OK but is not putting any defines in the CFLAGS -DUSE_TTF, or maybe that has
> changed but anyway, it builds without freetype.  gdft still in the dist, but
> is not being compiled either (no Makefile).

Things have changed with respect to freetype in version 3.5: the gdft
stuff is not used any more, instead, MapServer uses the freetype support
that is built into GD.

This means that to enable freetype you have to compile with a GD that
includes freetype support.  The --with-freetype configure switch is
there only to pass to configure the location of the freetype lib that
was used to compile GD (if it's not in the default libpath).

Hope that helps,
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca