[mapserver-users] Shapefiles - different formats?

Lyndon Zimmermann lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Oct 15 01:29:02 EDT 2001

Janet,

I don't think ArcView looks at the .prj file at all, you can have any
rubbish in it, UNTIL you want to use a reprojection tool. I would almost
classify it as metadata. I would try reprojecting your "functional"
shapefile and see how it copes with the .prj file.

ArcGIS, however, actually looks at the .prj file (if it exists) and
tries a reproject on the fly with it.  Your results will vary according
to the validity of the .prj file.  I don't think MapServer uses the .prj
file either, so what you see in MapServer and ArcView will be different
to what you see with ArcGIS.

Lyndon Z

--
Lyndon Zimmermann
BE (Mech Adelaide) Grad Dip Bus Admin (UniSA)

"Bioenergy Atlas for Australia" Co-ordinator
University of Adelaide Agronomy and Farming Systems
C/- GISCA, 4th floor, 10 Pulteney St, Adelaide 5005
Dir (GISCA) +61-8-8303 3975 Switch (GISCA) 8303 3900 Mob 0414 91 4577
Fax (GISCA) +61-8-8303 3498 email lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au
http://sg211.gisca.adelaide.edu.au/lzimmerm/zimm.htm

Biomass Energy Atlas Website (note it has moved!):
http://sg211.gisca.adelaide.edu.au/bioenergy_atlas/atlas_index.html

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this message and attachments may
be forwarded or quoted, with due acknowledgement.  No representation is
made that this email is free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended
and is the responsibility of the recipient.