[mapserver-users] ArcIMS Emulations

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Oct 15 23:15:25 EDT 2001

On the Mr. SID issue. If someone can convince LizardTech to support platforms other than Windows then it will be supported, until then...

You might be able to integrate Mr. Sid's image server into a MapServer application, especially if that product supported WMS.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> "Brian Fischer" <bfischer at mpls.houstoneng.com> 10/15/01 17:11 PM >>>
Paul,

Wow, it works great and it is blazin fast.  It works just like you are
connecting to Geography Network.  This adds a big selling point to
Mapserver.  It is hard sometimes to convince clients that MapServer is
the better choice over other IMS's.  This was one of the sticking points
that clients would bring up.  This is great news.  Would there be any
limitations to what OS this script could run on?  I run MapServer on
Windows.  I know Perl is not the popular choice of MapServer/MapScript
users that use Windows.  Is a port to PHP possible?

Another thing I commonly run into is clients that store all their
imagery in Mr. Sid format.  I know there has been some discussion in the
past about the possibility of adding Mr. SID support to MapServer and
the conclusion was it would not be that easy to do.  Has anyone else
found a creative solution to convincing clients that have imagery stored
in Mr. SID to use MapServer over another IMS that supports Mr. SID
imagery?

Great work Paul.

Have a good day,
Brian