[mapserver-users] Displaying very large shapefiles

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue Oct 16 11:23:06 EDT 2001

Armin,

Just a quick observation...

[snip]

> handle shapefiles with too many features? The index file
> itself has 14 MB.

a 14 Mb index file for a 450 Mb shapefile seems to be too small an index
file. For example, I have a 156 Mb shapefile (state and county roads). It
was slow as a dog. Then I indexed it and shptree created a 38 Mb index file.
It is now blazingly fast.

Try reindexing with different parameters... maybe the indexing is not
optimal at all.

You are right. Nothing should take "minutes" in today's web age. If it does,
you have to either improve it or do it some other way.

pk/