[mapserver-users] Strategy for dealing with Census Data?

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Tue Oct 16 13:25:05 EDT 2001

Stephen,

Oh yeah, we make heavy use of Tiger w/mapserver
and resell as well, see:

http://imap.chesapeake.net/tigershape99.html

Typically we sell Tiger/Shape with custom implementations
of MapServer which BTW, Is the best (and most powerful)
map engine on the planet ;)   It make sense for customers
which don't want to get into creating their own datasets,
etc.

Tiger is arranged by county, so you have to build
a county level hierarchy of shapefile, with non-unique
layer components, and of course you have to build a
county leve index for mapserver to deal with.  I have
found it unncessary to index within the county tiles
because the county level layers are relatively small.
Bruce Ralston at http://www.gistool.com sells a good
tool for dealing with Tiger, but you will need to
post-process (manipulate) the data a bit to get it
the way to want it.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc.