[mapserver-users] RE: Mapserver v3.5 executable for Windows 2000?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Oct 16 23:10:09 EDT 2001

Ted Quinby wrote:
> > Pericles,
> >
> > Thanks for getting back to me. From reading through the documentation,
> > it appears that in order to be wms compliant, the code needs to be
> > compiled along with W3C's libwww and the PROJ4.x libraries. From what
> > I've read on the website, it appears that the PROJ4.x library is
> > included, but the libwww library was not part of the compilation for the
> > Windows binary executable. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

I just thought I would clarify a few things about the meaning of "WMS
Compliance" and the associated requirements.  With the recent additions,
MapServer can act as both a WMS server and/or as a WMS client, and the
requirements are different for each one:

1- WMS Server:
   Allows MapServer to act as a WMS server and make its layers available
   to remote WMS clients (i.e. answer getCapabilities, getMap and
   getFeatureInfo requests)
   Requires PROJ4.
   GDAL is optional, you need it only if you serve raster layers and
   advertize multiple projections.
   Libwww is not used at all in this case.
   Compile with "-DUSE_WMS"
   See the WMS-Server-HOWTO:
      http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/wms-server-howto.html

2- WMS Client:
   Allows MapServer to combine layers coming from remote WMS servers via
   the WMS CONNECTIONTYPE with other layers in your maps.
   Requires PROJ4, Libwww and GDAL for full support.
   Compile with "-DUSE_WMS_LYR"
   See the WMS-Client-HOWTO:
      http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/wms-client-howto.html

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca