[mapserver-users] Displaying very large shapefiles

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Oct 17 17:33:52 EDT 2001

Armin,

> I tried shptree with parameters from 4 to 10, the effect was
> always the
> same. The response was quite slow. The index file for a
> 600000 polygon file
> with 180 MB I use has only 2 MB, so I think the index size
> for the huge file
> is in a normal range.

I definitely don't think so. While I have no scientific reason to back this,
I think a 2 Mb index file is wayyyyyyy too small for a 180 Mb, 600K shapes
shapefile. There is something not right with your index.

Have you tried experimenting with different depths?

pk/