[mapserver-users] [Fwd: mapserver 3.3.011]

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Oct 18 12:03:10 EDT 2001

Bonjour Francoise,

Françoise Guilbault wrote:

> We are considering running mapserver and need some information in order to setup the platform and dependent solftware.
>
> It would be greatly appreciated, if you could provide the following information or direct me to a reliable source.
>
> Will mapserver version 3.3.011 run on Red Hat Linux 6.1?

Yes it will run on RH6.1.  However, since you're just starting now, I
would suggest that you go with MapServer 3.4 or the current 3.5
development version.  3.4 was extremely stable and has several features
not present in 3.3.011.  3.5 is still "under development" but it's also
quite stable so you could go with 3.5 now and not expect too many
problems (see nightly build in http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/dload.html).

> What version of apache do I need to install?

If you plan on using only the "mapserv" CGI then any version of Apache
or any other web server would do.

If you plan on using MapScript in one of the scripting environments
(Perl or PHP) then Apache 1.3.x is guaranteed to work, but other
versions should work as well.

> Any other relevant information?

Not really, except perhaps that I should warn you about possible
frustrations in setting up the demo the first time if you download the
wrong version of the demo files... but once you get beyond that then
you'll be amazed by everything MapServer can do.

and the HOWTOs (about 3/4 down in http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc.html)
are the best resources for information on 3.5

Enjoy!
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca