[mapserver-users] Re: performance of our installation is way off

Brian Hill bhill at nextbus.com
Wed Oct 24 15:02:51 EDT 2001

I figured this out.  It was misuse of tile4ms.  At
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/utils.html, the documentation for tile4ms
suggests the following:

    find . -name "*.shp" -print > metafile.txt
    tile4ms metafile.txt tileindex

For the tiger dataset, there are 10 or so .shp files for each fips code.
 Each of them has essentially the same extent, and so the index has 10
or so very similar entries for each fips code.

I re-ran the find as

    find . -name "cty.shp" -print > metafile.txt
    tile4ms metafile.txt tileindex

and edited all the /cty out of the locations using ArcView.  The
resulting index has 58 entries instead of 799. I don't know what I am
doing very well, but the proof is in the pudding:

http://skip.nextbus.com/cgi-bin/imap/mapper?wid=.03&ht=.03&lat=37&lon=-122
<http://skip.nextbus.com/cgi-bin/imap/mapper?wid=.03&ht=.03&lat=37&lon=-122>

now only takes a couple of seconds.  Yahoo!  --Brian