[mapserver-users] PostGIS Question shp2pgsql

Obe, Regina DND\MIS Regina.Obe.PFD at ci.boston.ma.us
Wed Oct 31 08:01:04 EST 2001

Well I finally got Postgresql compiled and postgis compiled and installed
but when I tried to load a shape file into my Postgres db using shp2pgsql I
get this error

1836 STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

The number varies depending on which shape file I try to load so I assume
that it is the position in the file in which it failed.

Even when I try to just dump the shapefile to an sql text file I get this
error.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I did get some compile errors, but
everything seemed to work fine and can't remember the errors off-hand.

My syntax is
shp2pgsql -D lakespy2 lakespy2 test > lakespy2.sql

The SQL file does get created, and has some Geodata - but seems to break in
somewhere in the process.  I was successful in running this for some
shapefiles with full success (ran for a shapefile with just geometry point
types) and another 20 MB shape file (can't remember the geometries in it
(either polygons or lines or both).

Are there some limitations to shp2pgsql or did I miss something in my
compilation?

I'm running on a Windows 2000 machine, cygwin 1.3.something and Postgres
7.3.1, postgis cvs build from I think 10/22

Regina Obe
Senior Programmer
Boston Department of Neighborhood Development