[mapserver-users] Projection question - Australia

Marie Flanagan theflan at gofree.indigo.ie
Thu Apr 11 13:47:20 EDT 2002

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.  I was very pleasantly surprised
that my question got answers so quickly!

I've managed to create a file (using Mapinfo) with the projection I want
i.e. MGA55 on the GDA94 datum.  But I need the units to be in lat and
longitude degrees - as opposed to x,y meters.

For example take a point

888070 6248580

I want this to be represented as

151.1925896 -33.83179046

I 've tried using PROJ4 to covert to degrees, but am not having any luck
(possibly because I don't really understand what I'm doing and the
documentation doesn't help me much).  This is my PROJ4 command ....

proj -v -I -f  "%d" +proj=utm +ellps=WGS84 +a=6378137 +rf=298.25
888070 6248580

I get ...

1080240235 1078729873

Can anyone advise or suggest an alternative approach?  Thanks a lot.

Marie