[mapserver-users] map scale questions

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Mon Aug 5 20:56:57 EDT 2002

Hi, I think my mapserver scale output is wrong, and my scalebar
graphic is definitely skewed. I am stumped after looking at the
docs, tutorials and the mailing list archive.

I have a map table which viewed in MapInfo Pro tells me, the
Scale: 1 in = 3 mi (for this particular extent I am looking at).

So, in my mapfile MAP section I put
UNITS miles
and in my mapfile SCALEBAR section I put
UNITS miles

Then I view the same map & approx same extent in mapserver (OGR
reading mapinfo .tab), I get from mapserver scale = 1 : 5015 and
the scalebar renders as 1 bar = 0.16 mi. Clearly this is way off
from the 1 in = 3 mi which Mapinfo was saying.

But also mapserver scale 1:5015 does not equal the scalebar 1
bar = 0.16 mi !
If the scalebar is 1 inch, then 1 inch = 5015 inches = 418 feet =
0.079 mi.

So it's as if Mapinfo, the mapserver [scale] and the mapserver
scalebar image all are using different scales?

I am using no projections in my mapfile. I have saved all my
Mapinfo files with a common projection so I can avoid
reprojecting in mapserver. Do I need projections defined to make
the scale come out correctly?

I am just really confused about how to get mapserver to display
the same scale as Mapinfo Pro. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

TIA

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to