[mapserver-users] Answer to Why Configure Fails to Detected GD Supported Graphics Formats

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 2 10:50:35 EST 2002

Caffeinate The World wrote:

> It turned out my libgd.so was linked with libXpm.so and libX11.so.
> When configure compiled it's test program to check to see if it can
> use certain functions like gdImagePng() or gdImageGif(), the test app
> would aways fail cause it's linking with libgd.so but doesn't have any
> switches for -lXpm or -lX11 and if necessary proper -rpath (for *BSD).
> Consequently no supported graphic function was found.
>
> I would like to suggest we add --with-x11[=dir] and --with-xpm[=dir]
> to configure.

Thanks for pointing this.  I added '--with-xpm=DIR' to the configure
script in version 3.7.

BTW, we don't need a separate --with-x11 since both libXpm.so and
libX11.so should be located in the same directory.  That's also the way
PHP4 deals with this lib, so I assume that it should work on most
systems.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca