[Mapserver-users] Dynamic point creation problems - setXY yields error

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 9 17:13:30 EST 2002

"Lars V. Nielsen" wrote:

> Code snippet:
> while ($row = mssql_fetch_row($rs)) {
>      $px = $row[1]; // Easting
>      $py = $row[2]; // Northing
>      fputs ($fp, "  Coordinate (utm32): ".$px." , ".$py."\r\n");
>      $pt = ms_newPointObj() or die("Cannot create new point object");
>      $pt->setXY($px,$py) or die("Cannot assign XY to new point object"); // adding 3rd parameter doesn't help !
>
> It aborts with
>     Cannot assign XY to new point object
> but the previous dump statement produces a valid output:
>     Coordinate (utm32): 724192.12 , 6175749.4

The setXY() method returns 0 on success, -1 on error.  This was not
clear in the docs and I have updated the docs for 3.7

Unfortunately in MapServer's core some functions return 0/-1 and others
return MS_SUCCESS/MS_FAILURE and this happens as well in MapScript ...
new functions are written to use MS_SUCCESS/FAILURE, but the old ones
still carry their original 0/-1 return codes.  So you should always be
careful and check the docs when testing return values.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca