[Mapserver-users] Measured shape file mapserver compatibility

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Dec 11 09:57:49 EST 2002

Hi there,

Support of measured shape file has been added since mapserver  3.5X. Measure
files supported are Points, Arcs, Polygon and Multipoints. Note that only the
Arcs have been tested properly.

You can access  the m value of a point object as you access the x and the y.
Please refer to the php/mapscript README on this.

There are also a couple of utility functions that may or may not be useful to
you :

 - getpointusingmeasure : Given a measure m, retun the
        corresponding XY location on the shapeobject.

      Ex : point = shape->getpointusingmeasure(100);
           //display point->x, point->y

    - getmeasureusingpoint :  Given an XY Location, find the
       nearest point on the shape object. Return a point object
       of this point with the m value set.
       Note : To locate the nearest point, we will use a line
              which is perpendicular to the nearest segment and passes
              through the point.

        Ex :  *
               \   *(XY)
                * <--------------- intersection
           seg1  \
                  \
                  *-------------
                      seg2

Later,

Claude Philipona wrote:

> Hello,
> Is Mapserver/PHPMapscript compatible with measured shape files. I found some
> indication about measured shape files in the mapscript class documentation,
> but without much information about.
> Is there somewhere more information (howto or hint) about to use this
> feature (if it really exist)? What are the limitations with measured shape
> files.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Claude

Assefa Yewondwossen