[Mapserver-users] instruction : mapserver on Mandrake 9

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Thu Dec 12 05:21:42 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 10:41, Gerald G. Villacarlos wrote:
> hello list
>
> is there a link on how to intall mapserver on a Mandrake 9 box..
>
> suggestions are very much welcome since i badly needed it ...

As far as I know Mandrake Linux is based on RedHat linux. I'm working
myself on a (slightly extended) Mandrake 9 installation, and if I
remember well I basically followed the unix installation guide (see the
documentation section on the mapserver homepage, section
mapserver3.6->unix compilation and installation howto, and the RH
install guide (rather basic) on the wiki pages
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxBuild). Usually, for
me the trouble is not in compiling and installing mapserver, but in
getting all needed/wanted libraries compiled and linked with mapserver.
I'd say, have a look at the unix install guide (it tells you about all
possible/needed libraries etc., and don't forget to compile a separate
php binary to use as a cgi instead of the standard apache-extension php
usually is...) and give it a try. And when you get troubles compiling
something or getting things to work, or simply feel the need for more
detailed answers, don't hesitate to post a message.

Good luck!

Vincent Schut,
SarVision B.V.