[Mapserver-users] Spatial Database Connections

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 12 20:55:38 EST 2002

Hi guys,

Last month there was a discussion on this list regarding database
connections to SDE/Oracle Spatial and PostGIS. From what I could
understand, MapServer creates a database connection for each layer. So
if I have a map file with ten layers from a PostGIS database, and a user
requests the map file, 10 database connections would be created and once
the data is retrieved MapServer would terminate the connections. Then if
the user zoomed in on the map MapServer would create another 10
connections, retrieve the data and terminate the connections. If at the
same time another user accesses the same map file, a second lot of 10
database connections would be created.

If I’m correct in my understanding of the way it works, is there any
performance problems with opening so many database connections?

Thanks,

Benjamin Wragg