[Mapserver-users] New user question on URLs from the map image...

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Mon Dec 16 12:59:57 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:28:27AM -0400, John E Parks wrote:
> I would like to use map server to allow a user to zoom in on a point
> coverage (field stations) and when appropriate, select one of those
> stations and be redirected to an external URL.  In that URL, I would like
> to include the station number which is an attribute of the point coverage.
> How is this most efficiently done in Map Server?

My guess is that you certainly need MapScript, and maybe PostGIS would
make that easier. Basically, you just need to query the point layer with
the point the user clicked on, if there're results (among them should be
the station number), you just redirect or open a new window or whatever
:). Examples about querying shapefiles are in the GMap Demo, and about
querying postgis layers are in the archives of the postgis list and in
the postgis site.

--
Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|- at -|]vinko.cl>
http://www.cprsig.cl