[Mapserver-users] DHTML Navigation Tools for MapScript

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Mon Dec 16 13:53:13 EST 2002

> Is there any reason not to extend the toolset I already have started?

Probably just my lack of experience! ;)

No, really that probably makes the most sense. However, what I envisioned
was simpler (I think) than what you had done with your DHTML interface. A
lot of the code in the example

(http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/mapserver_demos/itasca/advanced/demo_dhtml.html
)

seems geared towards driving a MapServer application. I had a hard time
teasing out how to grab only the stuff that I needed for a MapScript
application.

What was in my mind was really a DHTML version of Rosa. With Rosa, you
pretty much just specify what you want the button to do (box, polygon, or
point), and the applet dumps that data into form variables.

For example, at the most basic level, I just need the image coordinates for
the drag events (like zoom in) - I would then do the image processing (what
layers to draw, how to handle a query, determining image extent, etc.) on
the server side with PHP.

Would there be a simple way to 'modularize' what you did to accomplish
something like this? Am I making any sense?

Chip