[Mapserver-users] SHP file simplification

Joe Bussell joe at otsys.com
Mon Dec 16 18:42:07 EST 2002

I believe that you may be working the problem from the wrong end.  We
also have a considerable list of shapes which need rendering.  The
solution that I chose was to use various levels of pre-rendered images.
  I generate all my write-seldom, read-often data onto a set of flat
images.  These are then used in the live server as raster backgrounds.
If we did not do this we would not be able to render our traffic maps as
fast as we do.  The trick was in defining a subset of scales that I
would allow, and following through with calculations to insure new maps
are rendered in one of those scales.

Cordially,

Joe Bussell
www.trafficdodger.com