[Mapserver-users] DHTML Navigation Tools for MapScript

Emil Zegers EZS at DeStraat.NL
Tue Dec 17 10:18:52 EST 2002

Hello Chip,

Nice demo!

I'd like to contribute to your idea of developing DHTML tools for the
Mapserver environment, preferrably for the WMS part of Mapserver, too.

The Intergraph WMSViewer (http://www.wmsviewer.com/) uses DHTML too,
may be another source of inspiration.

Another idea might be to take a look a the Inline WMS Viewer
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/inlinewms/ and
http://tsadev.speciesanalyst.net/documentation/ow.asp?InlineWMSMap).

Maybe you can start with a website with description of implemented
features so far, technical setup, a todo list and wish list.

Just let (me) know what you would like to start with.

Best regards,

Emil Zegers

*****

I'm interested in working with folks to develop a set of DHTML based
navigation tools for use (mainly) with MapScript. Sort of a DHTML
version of
Rosa. I've done some preliminary work on this, and posted an example
application that uses it at the following URL:

http://www.gasai.com/gisapps/world/

The chief features are:

 - works in IE and Mozilla/Netscape
 - 'rubber band' style zoom controls
 - click-n-drag panning

This initial effort is a combination of some code I borrowed from
Puneet
Kishor, and ideas gained from looking at Steve Lime's DHTML Land View
application. Basically, the application relies pretty heavily on the
CBE
tools to bridge the differing IE<->Mozilla event models.

I started down this path b/c I was running into Java issues in various
browsers... and thought maybe the DHTML route might simplify things.
I'm not
entirely convinced that this is true.

Anyway... my idea, if anyone thinks this is a worthwhile endeavor, is
to try
to refine this into a more simplistic 'plug-in' that can be used in
MapServer applications. However, I have absolutely no experience
working
'collectively' with others to develop software (like with CVS).

Is this the sort of thing that would be amenable to working
collectively on?
Is anyone interested? How would we set it up?

TIA!

Chip Hankley