[Mapserver-users] Thread safety: Using Mapscript from Java Servlet

Geo-IT-GmbH info at geo-it.com
Tue Dec 17 05:25:25 EST 2002

Hi,
I managed to compile java mapscript without errors, using mapserver release
3.6.3.
It is working fine from within a standalone java application but neither
from a servlet nor via SOAP (APACHE-SOAP).
In this case the JVM crashes with a core dump or does nothing at all. I
searched the mailing lists intensively and found that mapserver is not
thread safe and that seems to be the reason for this behaviour. I also tried
implementing the servlet using SingleThreadModel but also without  success.

What would be the effort to be done to use mapscript java from a servlet
(i.e. to make mapserver thread safe) ?
It would be great getting this to work ! We also have a good C-Programmer at
hand who could help, but need some information on amount of work to be done
beforehand from an insider.

Regards
Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka

Geo-IT GmbH   -   Geoinformatik, IT-Services
Guggenberg 3, D-82380 Peissenberg (Germany)
Tel: 08803-498372, Fax: 08803-498373
eMail: info at geo-it.com  -  Homepage: http://www.geo-it.com