[Mapserver-users] YA DHTML zoombox, was "DHTML Navigation Tools for MapScript"

Bob Basques bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Dec 19 13:57:16 EST 2002

All. ( sorry this got so long )

We've done some similar stuff with DynAPI, I've been holding off saying
anything though, because I wasn't sure that it was approriate for this
List, but since I didn't bring it up . . . .

We have a publically available version to view, it's not finished yet,
we had funding problems last year, but the Help file (not finished yet)
can be viewed to get a sense of how it works.  Work will be starting
back up again on it in the near future. It's at about 80-85% complete at
the moment.

There are many levels of interactivity here with many functionalities
included.  To tell the truth, we may have gone overboard a bit.  :c)

I've been considering throwing a generic version of this out there for
use as well. But it is also a bit top heavy, almost an application unto
itself.

Some interesting features (I think):

    It is skinnable, The theming of the interface can take on a
completly different look with different borders, cursors, etc.
    Handles multiple servers and  requests simultaniously.
    The downloading of data does not require the client to wait for new
data, the service are setup so that the data downloads occur in the
background.
    All servers are currently generating the data dynamically from
Oracle, but they can be mixed with with Static images as well.

Some future additions (We're planning) are:

    A "Printing Layout Interface" with draggable components, Map(s),
Border(s), Legend, Scale, titling,etc.
    SVG Interpretation for dynamic and Animated datatypes (GPS tracking
for instance)
    World View (whole Data coverage) Map.
    WMS,WFS Service connectibility.
    The mater Control Bar (top) is going to be redesigned.

Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated if anyone is so inclined.
 It only runs in IE 5.5+ at the moment (all that was required for the
internal version.) but 95% of all options are Cross browser.

 http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/ftp.publicworks.f2s.com/www.publicworks.f2s.com/dynapi25/Alpha_Versions/Alpha_91.2.html

This version is actaully an older version, the scaling options are
turned off (no other scale available at present - they are actually
there, but not labeled) and the panning feature is broken, you need to
reload. to view a different area.  Over all you can see the direction we
are going with it though.

Hint:
    Use the Global map window to download with the Right-Click menu.
Also remeber there is a right-click Menu for just about everything.
Be sure to wait for the Pre loading to complete.
If you are presented with a login screen, just use publicworks/gis, this
was to demonstrate that authentication could be applied to individual
themes/servers.
there is an incomplete Help system available as well.  Most windows are
draggable and each have their own Right-CLick menu. Some are resizeable.

Just play around with it and see what you think. Be sure to check out
the Help Window (still some bug in there) accessed from the "?" links in
each of the windows.

bobb