[Mapserver-users] Truetype point symbols

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Mon Dec 30 09:51:04 EST 2002

--=======F2D5114=======

At 04:04 PM 12/30/2002 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could someone post an example of how to define a truetype symbol for use
>in a map file?  The symbol would be used to symbolise point data.
>
>    e.g. labelling all points in a layer with the letter "a" from
>         the Arial font, or more practically, how to use one of the MapInfo
>         or ESRI symbols.
>
>I've had much success referencing symbols in a SYMBOLSET, and truetype
>fonts are working well for labelling purposes.  I just can't find a good
>clear code example defining a symbol in a map file for a point layer.
>
>Again, any advice or code would be appreciated.  (I'm using precompiled
>MapServer 3.6.3 for Win2K, with GIF & GDAL).
>
>Regards
>Mic.

Below is an example. There are a couple common problems with Truetype point
symbols that have come up repeatedly on this list.
1. Define the symbol in the symbolset file, not in the map file./
2. You can only use truetype fonts with ANSI characters sets, not symbol
character sets. ESRI tt fonts will work, MapInfo tt fonts will not. There
is a popular shareware program called "Font Creator" that is useful for
modifying font files (e.g. getting MapInfo fonts converted to ANSI
characters set). Search the list archives for more discussion.

Rich

SYMBOL
         NAME "hospital"
         TYPE TRUETYPE