[mapserver-users] problem with demo

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Jan 2 13:47:28 EST 2002

well, perhaps this thread became more confusing than intended.

Mapserver doesn't do any graphics by itself. It depends upon gd, an
opensource dynamic graphics creation library created by Tom Boutell way back
when. Initially gd supported creating Gifs until Unisys poked its nose and
claimed copyright. Starting post gd1.2, the library was modified to do only
PNGs. Hence all the confusion.

If you can get gd1.2 or earlier, compile it successfully with Mapserver,
then Mapserver will do GIFs. Starting Mapserver 3.4 and currently with 3.5,
support for gd184 is recommended. Gd184 does not do GIFs unless you are from
downunder.

Hth. Sorry... I did not mean to start a bonfire of confusion with this.

pk/