[mapserver-users] Reading MapServer output as a theme in Arcview

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Jan 8 18:06:03 EST 2002

I noticed there is an Arcview map file setup utility for Mapserver, that's
great.
One limiting factor to the Mapserver concept that I am running into is that
of providing data to existing applications like Arcview, etc.  The other
internet map servers out there appear to also support existing desktop GIS
products (I'm thinking of ERMapper's IWS and ESRI's IMS).  Can we do this
in the open source arena too?  I think I probably shouldn't be trying to do
this with Mapserver, so recommendations for other open source solutions
would be gladly accepted.

I'd like to have MapServer still serve up an image map but I want this to
appear as a standard theme in Arcview.
Has anyone been doing this or looking at it?  I am new to MapServer, but am
impressed with the flexibility.   I don't suggest that this is a simple
function to implement, but I am certain we could do something pretty
interesting here.  Obviously handling legends, map content, etc. would be a
whole other ball of wax to bring into Arcview.  Even just viewing one MS
Layer in Arcview would bridge the gap for those of us trying to get out of
the proprietary world and into a more easily distributed GIS.

The only reason I bring it up is to see if anyone has looked at this idea
and if you have any ideas for other solutions.

Tyler