[mapserver-users] Thread safety

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 9 13:07:49 EST 2002

Folks,

I have finished committing my thread safety work.

  o The --with-threads configure switch can be used to enable thread safety
    on Unix ... it will try to use -lpthreads.

  o GDAL has proven to be very thread unsafe because of my use of a global
    image cache mechanism.  In a multi-threaded world it is common for one
    thread to expire a cached image tile while another thread is still using it.
    So I have added a lock around GDAL.

  o I haven't implemented the thread safety stuff on Windows, but if someone
    wants it let me know.

Best regards,