[mapserver-users] Re: Mapscript

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jan 11 17:14:32 EST 2002

Jim Burnett wrote:

> I've been looking into using getShap(), but doesnt it require the index of
> the shape? Not all databases will have this Index. I think you can get the
> shap via a class, but the shapeObj doesnt seem to work correctly. Do you
> have any sample code for drawing a shape, getting the shape by class, not by
> the shape index?

I think I see what you mean: reocrds obtained from a RDBMS won't carry a
unique shape_id the same way as shapefiles and other file-based formats
will.  So you don't have any shape_id to pass to getShape() after a
query.  I don't know about SDE and PostGIS, but I have used SDO before
(outside of the MapServer world) and I believe that there is nothing in
OracleSpatial that can easily be mapped to a shape_id.

I guess the best ones to answer this question are the developers of the
SDO, SDE, and/or PostGIS connections:  Do the database-based connections
in MapServer have any equivalent of a shape_id?  If not then what should
one do to retrieve the shapes returned by a queryByPoint() in MapScript
for instance?

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca