[mapserver-users] Help please....!

Marie Flanagan theflan at gofree.indigo.ie
Mon Jan 14 20:29:18 EST 2002

Hello all,

Apologies in advance if this mail is annoying but I am new to GIS and am at the stage of trying to identify a product that will satisfy our mapping requirements on the internet and I'm finding it difficult to find straightforward answers to my questions given the volume of information out there.

I am looking for digital data for the Sydney area (and perhaps other areas in Australia at a later stage) - boundaries, roads, parks, water, etc - the usual paper map stuff in enough detail for someone to find their way around.  I want to use the data to produce maps dynamically on the internet and overlay the maps with public transport bus/train/ferry stops and maybe other information.  Can you help direct me towards a source of data?  what format is it in?  do I need to convert it / store this data in a database?  The software I'm looking at as a mapping server is Mapserver and Mapinfo's MapXtreme.  I was also looking at ESRI ArcIMS but from what I've read so far it may be overkill for our needs.

Thanks in anticipation for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Marie Flanagan