[mapserver-users] coordinates

Nikki Chumakov nikki at paranoia.ru
Tue Jan 29 08:44:41 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm completly new to GIS and cartography, so, please, excuse if my
question is too stupid.
I'm particulary messy with datums and projections topics and with data
formats.

Anyway, I have a file with vector geographics data, and wish to convert
it into shapefiles and browse it
with mapserv.

The data I have use coordinates like
55.0195312500,34.9804687500;
55.0195312500,39.9902343750;
59.9853515625,39.9902343750;
59.9853515625,34.9804687500 (it is in Moscow, Russia) and somehow I know
that the WGS84
projection was envolved.

So, I created shapefiles with simple perl script (shapelib/Shape.pm). I
did not use any conversions
and insert these coordinates AS IS into shapefile.

Now, mapserv shows the map but all objects are too small, ~10000 times
smaller than actual objects
compared with scalebar.

I tried use different PROJECTION sections with no luck. I'm not sure if
I should right PROJECTION sections or I should transform coordinates
before insert it into shapefile. Actially I didn't see any visual
diffirences
with different PROJECTION sections at all.

I'm using mapserv 3.5, proj 4.4.5

mapserv -v
MapServer version 3.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=TTF SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=TIFF
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Could you help please?