[mapserver-users] MapServer/Flash integration help

Dylan Marks dylan_marks at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 11:59:28 EDT 2002

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post such a request, but I'm a Flash MX developer looking for some paid contract help in integrating offline MapInfo files into an online site built in Flash.  I could probably figure it out myself, but I'm on a bit of a time limit and was hoping to tap into some pre-existing wisdom.

I know that that there are plans in the works to have swf output support in the new version of MapServer, which sounds very exciting.  I don't necessarily need vector output though.  Flash MX (the newest version of Flash) supports dynamic loading of jpegs,  which should be fine. (although yes, I know, jpegs and maps don't mix all that well).  What I need is the ability to interact with point data in a dynamically loaded map. I'm guessing MapServer will need to pull this from MapInfo TAB files.

I already have a basic prototype flash front-end working but would like some help with the MapServer integration.  Instead of javascript I'd be passing variables in/out of a swf, interacting with both coordinates in Mapserver and point data in MySql.  My front-end prototype uses coordinate 'buttons' of buildings that, when clicked, pull data from a MySql database.  I can take care of the MySql data, as long as I can link up point coordinates from MapServer with database IDs.

I'm very excited about this project, and at some point would be happy to go open-source with the Flash front-end.  I think there is a lot of potential in using the newest version of Flash in online mapping applications.  If anyone is interested in helping (paid of course) or giving some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dylan Marks

dylan_marks at hotmail.com