[mapserver-users] labeling

Seamus Thomas Carroll carrolls at unbc.ca
Wed Jul 10 15:41:26 EDT 2002

Hi,

I am labeling various cities and roads I have the problem of roads and
smaller cities being labelled and the larger cities not being labeled.
All cities are part of the same layer and all roads are part of the same layer.
The map file is outlined as follows:

LAYER # road drawing layer

  CLASS
    # highway drawing layer
  END

  CLASS
    # road drawing layer
  END
END # end of road drawing layer

LAYER # road label layer

  CLASS
    # highways label info
  END

  CLASS
    # road label info
  END
END # end of road label layer

LAYER # city layer

  CLASS
    #Largest city info
    #Labeling and drawing of points
  END

  CLASS
    #Medium city info
  END

  CLASS
    #Small city info
    #Labeling and drawing of points
  END
END # end of city layer

I want the labeling to go in this order of precedence:
1) larger city
2) small city
3) highway
4) road
Any suggestions?

At some zoom levels things look correct and at others they dont.  I have
tried changing the order of the layers and the order of the classes
within the layers.  The FORCE command wont be useful because there are
major cities side by side and I dont want overlap.
Thanks for reading this far and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Seamus