[mapserver-users] getting rid of GD and dependencies

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Wed Jul 17 04:32:40 EDT 2002

I have this crazy idea to take the Mapserver code base and rip out all
the GD/libJPEG/libPNG/etc. code and rewrite the graphics routines to use
Cocoa's AppKit rendering on Mac OS X. Cocoa is Apple's Objective-C
framework, formerly called OpenStep. The advantages of this that I can
see:

1) It would remove most or all of the difficult compile and dependency
problems that mapserver has on OS X. It might be necessary to wrap
mapserver in an Objective-C application, or a loadable bundle, but that
won't present a problem.

2) I suspect it would look a whole lot better. Cocoa has a
Postscript-like imaging model and uses PDF, antialiasing and vector
graphics. No jaggies! Just nice smooth images. Appkit also has a lot of
neat features for compositing images with both raster and vector
content. And Unicode support. It's just a really neat graphics
environment through and through.

3) Whatever work I did could theoretically, eventually be ported to
GNUStep, and thus run on any other Unix platform.
(http://www.gnustep.org). Although I hear that currently the GnuStep
Appkit stuff still needs a lot of refinement.

So mainly I just want to bounce this idea off you all...

-- Would anyone take offense if I did this to the mapserver source code?

-- Is there anyone on the list who knows Objective-C and Appkit
programming?

-- Good idea? Crazy idea?

-- The license to mapserver looks very um, flexible. Are there any
commercial products based on it? I don't know if this project I am
describing would be open-source or not, I haven't talked with my
employer about legal shtuff yet. I would push it to be open-source
though.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to