[mapserver-users] Problem Mapscript with GIF as CGI

Carsten Heidmann heidmann at Hamburg.BAW.DE
Wed Jul 17 05:30:26 EDT 2002

Hello,
I m trying to get mapscript to work on a Solaris 8 System, using Mapserver
3.6.1, PHP 4.1.1 (since I didn't succeed in building a newer version) and
Apache 1.3.26. After fixing the mapscript Makefile (doubled entry 'gcc' in
CC Flag) everything compiled fine and the phpinfo_mapscript.php (renamed
from phtml) works fine. In the beginning I compiled PHP as DSO with the
resulting error and the advice to build PHP as CGI. Having done that, I
tried to access test_draw_map.php and got the following error:

PHP/MapScript module test

Warning: MapServer Error in msLoadMap(): Undefined symbol
"symbols/ctyhwy.gif" in class 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno. in
/data/www1/itasca/test_draw_map.php on line 34

Fatal error: Failed to open map file demo.map in
/data/www1/itasca/test_draw_map.php on line 34

This is the same error which I encountered when I used a version of gd
which is not "GIF-enhanced", but I already compiled PHP and Mapserver with
a GIF-gd version and with the regular Mapserver-Demo, everything works fine.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Carsten

Dipl.-Geogr. Carsten Heidmann
Tel.: 040.81908.345