[mapserver-users] display nice tiff renderings

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Wed Jul 17 12:08:06 EDT 2002

Going to ECW will not help and will actually make it worse. ECW provides a
24bit color image to GDAL (even for garyscale!) which is then down sampled
by GDAL. I'm not sure what you mean by poor image quality. Are you
referring to color quality? And are you using a tile index or a single
image. If you are using a tile index (using multiple images) make sure they
all use the same 8bit color palette, and of course make sure the palette is
well chosen in the first place. I use an 8bit color palette of just 200
colors, which leaves 50+ "spare" colors for other map layers. I created the
palette in Photoshop by sampling about 5% of my images and then applied the
palette to all of the images.

Rich

At 01:16 PM 7/17/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>this is a continuation what happening since i posted a similiar question few
>weeks back.
>
>1. Process the landsat image in Erdas
>2. Export it as Geotiff (24-bit)
>3. downgrade it to geotiff-8bit in Macromedia Fireworks. (i found out from
>the list that MS doesn't do a good job of the 24 to 8 bit tiff conversion)
>4. now displays as a geotiff in MS
>
>the quality still looks poor. i thought maybe i can
>1. display it as a Erdas lan format. however, i think it's only for 1 band.
>2. export it as ErMapper ECW format. would that yield better quality?
>
>Thanks
>Nyon

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.