[mapserver-users] Getting mapserver running on Mac OS X

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Wed Jul 17 13:03:11 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, at 07:01  AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> % setenv CFLAGS "-I/sw/include"
> % setenv LIBS "-L/sw/libs"
>
> I think this mechanism will essentially extend the basic search path for
> include files and libraries to include the /sw tree.  Let me know if you
> learn a cleaner mechanism for doing the same.

Hi Frank! A great suggestion, but didn't work. Configure still says it
cannot find JPeg and GD. I am surprised that it did not. The configure
script really seems to want to have a different directory layout than I
have with this fink install.  It wants to have an "install directory"
for these supporting components, when all I have is lib/ and include/
Here is a strange workaround I just thought of.

% sudo cp -R /sw/lib/* /sw/include/* /sw/pile
% ./configure --with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config --with-
jpeg=/sw/pile --with-png=/sw/pile --with-freetype=/sw/pile --with-
gd=/sw/pile

My compile works now!

> PS. On the MapServer with Cocoa as output.  Using a mechanism similar
> to what
> has been done for SWF it should be able to establish Cocoa as an
> "output format"
> for MapServer.  Would you be using Cocoa to render to an "off screen
> bitmap"
> that would still be used for serving maps, or would you be using it to
> render
> on screen with the intention of using it as a rendering component for a
> GIS
> viewing application

It would probably just be rendering for a web client to consume via
mapserver, but I've also thought about a standalone Cocoa application
with a GUI for previewing/rendering maybe even manipulating OpenGIS
content.

> If it would be for off-screen rendering of stuff to be served normally
> the
> job shouldn't be too bad, but I think you would find it difficult to
> remove
> GD dependencies cleanly - and likely not worth the trouble.

OK, thanks for the tips. I'll check out the Flash work that's been done
for some ideas.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to
alrice at swcp.com