[mapserver-users] strange mapinfo layer

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Wed Jul 24 18:46:55 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, July 24, 2002, at 04:17  PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Alex Rice wrote:
>> OGRFeature(Esloclbl):1
>>    id (String) =
>>    Style =
>> LABEL(t:"Marie\nHughes",a:0.000000,s:0.001286g,c:#000000,p:2,f:"Arial"
>> )
>>    POINT (-106.71142900 35.15584200)
>>
> This MapInfo object seems normal to me.  "id" is a regular attribute of
> type string and can be emtpy, like any attribute.
>
> If you exported your file to MIF/MID which is MapInfo's interchange
> format then you would see something like this in the .MIF file:
>
> TEXT "Marie\nHughes"
>   -106.71142900 35.15584200  ... ...
>   FONT("Arial", 0, ... ,...)
>
> The label text of a text object is not stored in a regular attribute in
> MapInfo, it is a property specific to a text object as you can
> see here,
> and OGR returns the label text via the Style value applied to a Point
> object since pure text objects do not exist in the Simple Feature data
> model.  If you setup this layer as TYPE ANNOTATION and using STYLEITEM
> "AUTO" then you should see this labels on your map.

Daniel, thanks a lot. I see how it's working now. I am pretty new
at GIS stuff. Here is a related question. I have another TAB file
which has no geometry info in it, and crashes mapserver when I
use it as an OGR connection. I think it's supposed to be joined
with the table shown above. It's signature looks like this. How
would I do a "join" to display, for instance the Address field of
Eslocs.TAB?

INFO: Open of `Eslocs.TAB'
using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.

Layer name: Eslocs
Geometry: None
Feature Count: 83
Layer SRS WKT:
(unknown)
NAME: String (40.0)
ID: Integer (11.0)
ADDRESS: String (40.0)
PHONE: String (10.0)
MAPADD: String (40.0)
OGRFeature(Eslocs):0
   NAME (String) = A. Montoya
   ID (Integer) = 321
   ADDRESS (String) = 24 Public School Rd Tijeras
   PHONE (String) = (null)
   MAPADD (String) = 24 Public School Rd

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to