[mapserver-users] OGR versus PostgreSQL and XML-Mapfiles?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jul 29 18:32:14 EDT 2002

1. There must be enough vector formats to go around why make more.
Shapefiles seem to be the quickest because
of the native support if you can live with the limitations of xbase
files. XML as a file format would kill performance...

2. Not that I'm aware of, although it's sure been discussed a bunch.
XML ain't enough, you need a schema to be of
any use. A DTD won't do it.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Stefan F. Keller" <sfkeller at hsr.ch> 07/29/02 05:06PM >>>
Dear all

Being a newbie I'd like to understand Mapservers architecture:

1. What are the pros and cons of adding "yet another" XML
   vector format (performance, generic interface, flexibility):
a) Import it to GDAL/OGR, or
b) Load it into PostgreSQL ?

2. Did anybody implement the Mapfile-syntax in XML as (direct)
   input to Mapserver? (would make life easier for syntax-proofed
   editing in an XML-Editor)

-- Stefan Keller