[mapserver-users] ASP as template file

Robert Crossley robert at wotzhere.com
Wed Jun 5 20:21:06 EDT 2002

Ed,
I recently implemented a site that used the same approach as brent, and there are definately cases where ASP or other server side scripting is
required.  In my case, data about the spatial objects on the map was stored in a SQL Server database (not my choice), that was being
updated frequently from other sources.  This data was also being edited from from another frame on my site.

The ASP redirection method was a neccessary step in being able to do database queries to provide data for the displayed frame.  In my case
the only thing that I really wanted from the shape file was the ID of the spatial object to query.

Having said that, as I got to understand the way that the template mechanism worked with the page and data headers/ footers etc, I can see
that you would be able to build quite sophisticated forms to display mapping data if all your data was in the spatial data.

Rob

6/06/2002 06:01:30, "Ed McNierney" <ed at topozone.com> wrote:

>I find that some of the difficulty users find in mixing/matching MapServer and ASP is that MapServer's template mechanism provides a
different way of doing many things one can do in ASP (or in other front-end scripting environments; there's nothing special about ASP).  That's
great because you don't NEED a scripting environment to do a lot of cool things with MapServer, but it seems to confuse people who get
started with MapServer templates and then try to figure out how to "add ASP".

Robert Crossley
Robert Crossley & Associates
9 Short St
New Brighton NSW 2483