[mapserver-users] Raster Aerial photos

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Mon Jun 10 14:38:58 EDT 2002

Iris,

Mapserver has two different raster input handlers, the 'native' mapserver
one, and GDAL. Which are you using? Generally, using JPEGs for input is
discouraged. You may be running out of colors in your color palette.
Ideally, you'd convert all of your images to the same 8 bit color palette,
and it doesn't hurt to leave a few empty colors in the  palette, and/or
order the color palette by frequency of color occurrence.

Rich

At 04:54 PM 6/10/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am trying to include 80 aerial photographs.  The size of each of the
>photos is circa 25 MB.  I converted them from 24 bit jpg pictures to 8 bit
>tif images with image alchemy.  When I include one of the pictures in the
>mapping file the image is in a pretty good quality.  When I include five
>or more pictures, the quality of the pictures deteriorates. I get white
>and gray pixels in the images where they don't belong.  It almost looks
>like the red channel is missing.  When I view the pictures in Corel Photo
>paint, the colors seem to be all right.
>
>Can anybody help me out?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Iris